Sunday, April 15, 2007

It isn't Christmas

So why did I see so much family this weekend?...first with J's mother and brother on Friday night and then today with mine for the monthly birthday gathering...

Yesterday I had a plan and was not going to the birthday thing...I'd made my mind up, all proud of myself for being a grown-up and then...

I get a call from my dad...the second this week - I'd ignored the first and I had no intention of answering this one either, especially because he sounded really serious which is almost always a bad sign if he's calling me, but I listened anyway...

He was calling to ask me how to cook Boca Burgers... excuse me, WTF???...they NEVER make any effort to accomodate my diet (and I don't expect them to so it's never a suprise), but a call specifically about veggie burgers?? I was intrigued, I had to call back.

Calling back meant I was going (as in alone, b/c I swore I wouldn't bug J about going until June after begging her to go to something else that I was desperate for her to attend...all very melodramatic then, can't remember now what it was)...especially since they'd gone to the trouble of actually remembering the whole haven't eaten meat for 25 years thing.

So...I get there, they do not in fact have Boca Burgers but Amy's Organic Vegetable Patties...just to be specific...and that was the high point of the afternoon...

we got my 5 yo nephew something really similiar to what my uptight older stepsister and her husband, aka J's b/f, got him...that pissed me off...a lot

I picked out a card for my youngest brother that was identical to one purchased my other stepsister and her family...what are the chances?

and then I called my older (extremely uptight) stepsister by the wrong name, which she promptly corrected and gave me her usual look of disgust...so I hugged her and gave her lesbo cooties (that was fun, even if it meant violating the no touching rule)...

I escaped after a couple of hours and filled J in on all she'd missed after I got home and was on my second beer.

The May festivities will be here before long and I swear I'm NOT going to that one...

Really, I mean it.





|