To help you celebrate safely this Fourth of July, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the National Council on Fireworks Safety offer the following safety tips:
* Always read and follow label directions.
* Have an adult present.
* Buy from reliable sellers.
* Use outdoors only.
* Always have water handy (a garden hose and a bucket).
* Never experiment or make your own fireworks.
* Light only one firework at a time.
* Never re-light a "dud" firework (wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
* Never give fireworks to small children.
* If necessary, store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
* Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then disposing of them in your trashcan.
* Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
* Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
* Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
* The shooter should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
* Stay away from illegal explosives.