Sunday, July 02, 2006

the lake house

lakehouse

summer holidays are a good time to romanticize family memories...the heat, bugs, and indignity of shopping for suitable bathing suits have faded and you're only left with the hazy images of watermelon and hot dogs...

for me, one such source of those types of warm, fuzzies is my grandparents lake house...I mentioned it to Hag in a Jag recently and remembered I had a picture of it that I inherited when my grandparents died...and since here in the states we're getting ready to celebrate the summer holiday....I thought I'd invite everybody over...the bigger the crowd the better

in the storage room under the house, there's a pile of mismatched water ski's and lifejackets, a few cane poles and rod and reels, I'm sure somebody will start the boat up sooner or later...or you can just rest and enjoy the breeze on one of the swings, Aunt Sally might come over so be prepared to talk about tomatoes and fishin', she's a dear old thing....

speaking of fishing, it's better off our dock or at the end of the Rabon's where the water's deeper, but be forewarned you have to clean what you catch....be careful diving cause there's old christmas trees right off the edge of the platform...there's plenty of snakes too so don't be suprised if one pops up....btw, you can get minnows and worms at the bait shop right before you turn off onto the dirt road...

I think Papa picked up some old inner tubes from the warehouse last week, maybe he'll blow them up and once the show-offs are done skiing we can convince them to pull us around for a while...

there's plenty of places to look around if you get antsy....down to the right a few blocks or so, there's an old abandoned farm house with a swing in the tree in the front yard that's a nice place to stop...back to the left is the cove....just wave, they're all friendly...

the watermelon somebody threw in the water this morning should be just about chilled by now....I think I heard the ice cream machine earlier too....I imagine the boys will shoot fireworks into the water later and get fussed at for the mess on the dock after it's all said and done....

so if you're in the neighborhood or feel like spending the day by the lake - join me and my perfect imaginary family for a wonderful afternoon...it'll be fun :)
|