Monday, July 31, 2006

what is this doing in my house monday? Late edition...

I haven't played my own game in weeks and for that I apologize, the idea is to pick something really strange in your house that you can't or won't get rid of but can't figure out why you keep...(thanks denise and em for continuing the fun ;))...but, this deserves my attention even though it's technically in my truck and most likely won't ever actually come in my house.....

what I'll eventually get to was in a box of books I bought for a $1 at the auction Saturday....

bear with me ;)

First...the backstory....here's a suprise - growing up in the deep South....I had a pretty religious upbringing...I was born and raised Southern Baptist...until we migrated to the Assemblies of God when I was a teenager....my family was very, very, very serious about this stuff....fundamental, strict, King James kinda Bible thumpers...(said with all due respect)

For wholesome Christian entertainment, we loved nothing better than a good revival or traveling preacher or gospel music act when they came to town....so imagine the delite and excitement of my family and peers when Jim and Tammy Faye burst onto the scene in the 70's with the PTL Club....it was outstanding...

oh my they had it all...and it was right down the road....we attended many shows while they were still in their first, dingy downtown Charlotte studio...once the park opened it was really on...we camped there, hung out with like minded folks...there was so much to do....I even had a Bible with Jim and Tammy's autograph (along with a bunch of other notable evangelists of the day)....my family continued to visit there well past the time I turned 18 and didn't have to do the church thing anymore...

the last time I was there was on the way to see Patti Labelle at Carowinds in the mid 80's (an amusement park really close to the PTL Park)...I was with a couple of friends, we'd had some cocktails and well... thought it would be funny...I don't remember if it was or not - that was a long time ago...

so when I saw this I had to laugh...I just wish I could find the album cover with headshot of Tammy Faye on the front looking really suprised...maybe I should start collecting PTL memorabilia?

PTL Family Devotional
|