Saturday, August 06, 2005

Loretta and the Farmers Market

I was going to cut grass but I'm blowing it off until tomorrow morning cause I'm feeling a little puny and would rather just chill out and concentrate on nothing seeing as I have aspirations for later on as well ;)

We decided to hit a little produce stand this morning- they call it a farmers market but it's not - and wound up getting a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit - corn, tomatoes, squash, snap beans, peaches, blueberries, lettuce, bananas, potatoes and just a litttle okra to flavor the beans - so dinner should be good tonite and I think I'll have a fresh tomatoe sandwich for lunch...J mentioned something about cornbread but I don't think we have the stuff...weekends are typically big food days for us and so far that hasn't been the case so we are committed to eating after J gets up from her nap :)...

Once we got home we listened to some new cds - which is mostly the point here - and I am loving Loretta's latest ! She and Dolly are two of my all time heros...hands down they are living legends and I don't think music - or us in general - will ever see anything close once they're gone...I can gush endlessly about both of them, their success, their compassion, their real-ness but the things that impress me the most are the songwriting and the willingness to reach out across what is perceived to be a very narrow-minded genre to create some great collaborative works. Cut 2 stands out on Van Lear Rose - typical edgy Loretta lyrics with Jack White (of the White Stripes) singing alongside...btw, he produced the album if you didn't already know...her words now are easily as topical as The Pill or Don't Come Home A Drinkin' but what makes this album so crazy is the 60's garage psychedelic guitar work going on the background. I would love to see a "making of" about these recording sessions! Music is at a great point now - people teaming up across their classifications, songwriters getting more credit...I can't wait to come back later this weekend to talk about the Willie cd that's in this batch too....


|