Sunday, November 20, 2005

keeper of the family history

that's my role in our family strangely enough....all the pictures, the grandparents stuff, the weird little stories that everyone's forgotten or didn't listen to in the first place...and not just the recent things, I know parts of the stuff that happened way before any of us were even around....so I'm always a little giddy when I get a new tidbit or hint of a missing puzzle piece, but I almost let my stupid brother convince me he had uncovered the big skeleton this morning....

we're eating breakfast, unpacking groceries and the phone rings...it's stupid brother....not unusual for a Sunday morning, he'll call us while he's working extra duty guarding the Baptists....he has a new laptop and he's discovered wifi and amazingly enough he's found a hotspot....

super sleuth is looking at county marriage licenses....no, I don't know why....and he says, "did you know Papa (our maternal grandfather) was married before Bama (our maternal grandmother)?"....I say, "you're full of shit, what are talking about?".....he goes on to read a marriage in 1933 - when our grandfather was 12 - between a man with our grandfather's name and a woman...."no, way stupid brother, that's HIS father"...."come on sis, they got married early then"....

so back and forth we go, until I am forced to pull out my genealogy folder and read off to him dates and names...finally he agrees that I am right, why this was a question to start with is beyond me....since he's a little interested I throw out a juicy tidbit about a great, great uncle I think we had and never heard about....nothing...silence...complete disinterest

one of the kids needs to show some interest in this because I am truly tired of being the one....
|