Tuesday, August 23, 2005

this really made sense to me

I just ran across Danny Gregory's blog and was scrolling through, looking at some neat sketches and happened to stop on a post - the passage below caught my attention and it's a good description of what I'm feeling right now about having this place to share a side of me that very few people know about (LOL, closet artist)...I've been incredibly inspired from the feedback and support not to mention the other amazing art I've been looking at but I think the real lesson for me in all this is just to enjoy the process and appreciate the experience of creating...it's very easy for me to dismiss my work as trivial or silly or not good enough but I enjoy doing it - it's a good way for me to relate and think...

To draw, one must draw. Exercises and academic and books provide examples of what one might do, but experience is the real teacher. Take tomorrow as your assignment. Draw your breakfast, your bus stop, your bathroom wall while you're shitting, your laundry as you fold it, your children as they watch TV, your pillow as you wait for lights out.Be bold with your exploration. Capture what you do and have always done. Then push yourself to new experiences if only to draw them. Visit new neighborhoods and draw them. Meet new people and draw them. Try new foods, read new books, smell new flowers, do anything that will deepen your understanding and your appreciation of your world and your place in it.I don't care if you think your drawings suck, if you are ashamed to show them to anyone else. What matters is that you pause and contemplate. If your record of that contemplation is inaccurate, try again. Feel deeper. See deeper. Slow down. Relax. And tomorrow, do it again. You aren't being graded or evaluated on your drawing. No more than you are being evaluated on your life itself. The only thing that matters is you. What you experience. How you experience it. How much you get out of this day and the next. This is your life. Dig into it. Embrace it. Notice its curves and angles. Explore its corners. Feels its edges and put them down on paper. The pen, the page, are just tools for you to take time and slow it down. I can't make you do it my way, any more than I can force you to live your life my way. You decide, you forge your style, you pick the line that draws your life.Take tomorrow and instead of hesitating and questioning and doubting and fretting, draw your breakfast, draw your day. Then try it again the day after. With each successive day, you'll be clearer and deeper. If you miss a day, don't freak out or beat yourself up. Just take on the day after that.Share the results if you'd like. By sharing you will find commonality and support. But maybe you don't need more than self sufficiency. In that case, keep your drawings for yourself. Or toss them out as you do them. The drawings don't matter, the drawing does.

|