Monday, May 14, 2007

Hard to Believe

The percentage of women 40 and older saying they had a mammogram within the past two years slipped from 70 percent in 2000 to 66 percent in 2005, according to the study appearing on Monday in the journal Cancer.

This news broke today...we saw the story again on the news tonite and after talking with J, I've decided to blog something I've never really talked about here...

J was diagnosed with a type of breast cancer 6 years ago because of a mammogram...it was scary, it was traumatic, it was unpleasant...but it was TREATABLE and it was detected early.

There are low or no cost programs available in EVERY US STATE if you don't have insurance....if you do it's typically covered as a part of your routine benefits.

I turned 40 this year and had my first one a few months ago...it was quick and painless...non-invasive and much easier than I could have ever imagined.

Breast health is no joke, monthly self-exams and following mammogram guidelines are important steps in early detection...if you're reading this and have been putting yours off...please schedule it soon....if you're a man and have women in your life, encourage them to do the same...BREAST CANCER DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A DEATH SENTENCE!

A while back, skeet said I was obsessed with breasts...and it's true, I am...I love them and I think everyone else should love them too...especially if they're yours.
|