Tuesday, January 23, 2007

there has to be a mistake


I had to have a root canal yesterday and my current dentist apparently doesn't believe in ether...nor did the dentist I used in Atlanta...

what's up with that folks???

the one thing that makes the thought of dental work bearable (for me) is the promise of a good dose of laughing gas....without that, what's the point in having a drill in your mouth for over an hour?...yeah yeah, there's that medical need thing but really what's more important? a healthy tooth or ether buzz?

I think we know where I stand on this...

while pouting over the fact I had to go through the procedure without my favorite dental crutch...I discovered some interesting information...here's just a few gems...

Dr. Crawford Long used it for the first time in the 1840's (and a bonus pointless trivia factoid - he's was a Georgia boy)...when mixed with ethanol, it became a popular social drink for women during prohibition (sounds yummy) and ticks can be removed from the skin when anesthetized with a few drops....

but mostly I'm amused by the fact that there is an Ether Monument in Boston (unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a gift shop or tshirt)
|