Monday, December 04, 2006

names


my first name is Doris....let's just that out of the way....I was named after both of my grandmothers and take a great deal of pride in that now....all 3 of my brothers also received family names and while the one closest to me in age got a mouthful, none of them got anything quite so old-fashioned as mine....

in retrospect, I can understand why kids found my name amusing...as I've gotten older though, I'm always amazed at how many grown-ups think it's funny when they discover I'm a Doris....this is after all the South where men and women's names are often indistinguishable and where family names are commonly used....

the reason I'm fixated on this today is because a coworker saw my first name on something last week and has amused herself with calling me Doris for days, evidently she thought it was so amusing that she's shared it with some of her staff and now they're doing it....I just don't get it
|